One of the things I love so much about sandwiches is personalization. A little of this, a little of that. Do I feel like tomato? Nah, leave that out. Sandwiches provide the perfect opportunity for you to tweak a recipe toward your own tastes or put a spin on something bland to make it extraordinary.
I came up with this "recipe" (honestly, I never really think of sandwich fixings as making a recipe) from a sandwich I had at a chain downtown one day. Do I remember the name of the place? No. Do I remember the exact ingredients? No. Does it matter? Not one bit. Sandwiches are a beautiful thing.
So here is the basic idea. Fiddle as you will.
Balsamic Veggie Sandwich
- Balsamic vinegar
- Roasted red bell peppers
- Spinach pesto
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella (bononcini)
- Spread a thin layer of pesto on one slice of bread.
- Sprinkle some balsamic vinegar on the other slice. (I like to add it to what will be the bottom slice so that the tart vinegar is first to hit my tongue. Mmm...)
- Slice the mozzarella and layer on the pesto slice.
- Arrange chopped pepper on other slice and cover with sprouts.
- Smoosh both halves together, slice, and enjoy!
In other news, I recently bought a nice pile of mangoes that were on sale, so expect to see some mango recipes in the near future!