Kale Skillet Pizza
Recipe courtesy of Vegetarian Times - February 2009
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 package dry yeast (1/4 oz.)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. flax meal
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp.)
- 8 cups loosely packed kale
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 2 Tbsp. Neufchatel cheese (2 oz.)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 oz.)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbs. fresh oregano or basil
- To make Dough: Dissolve brown sugar in 1/2 cup warm water in large bowl. Stir in yeast, and let stand 5 minutes, or until liquid is cloudy and bubbly. Stir in whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, flax meal, oil, and salt. Knead 2 minutes while adding 1/4 cup flour. Oil in separate bowl, and turn dough in oil to coat. Cover, and let rise in warm spot until dough doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- To make Topping: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until kale is softened, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and fennel seed, and cook 7 to 10 minutes more, or until all liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, and stir in Neufchatel cheese.
- Preheat oven to 475F. Oil bottom and sides of 12-inch cast iron skillet. With floured hands, pat and stretch Dough over bottom and halfway up sides of skillet. Let dough rest 5 minutes. Spread kale mixture on dough; scatter feta cheese, tomatoes, and oregano on top. Place skillet directly on oven floor, and bake 15 minutes. Remove carefully from oven, and let stand 5 minutes before serving.