October 4, 2008

Mango Pineapple Lassi

This is one of those recipes that I like to call a "double take" recipe. Not because the recipe list is odd, but because the product is initially, well... lackluster.


I love mango. I love pineapple. I love plain, unsweetened yogurt (yep, I'm weird). So this seemed like the perfect combination for me. Sadly, when I initially tasted this drink after the photoshoot it was kind of odd. Sour, but not in an appetizing way. Fruity, but blah. Normally, I would pass such a product off on my sister, but she happens to not be the biggest fan of mango or plain yogurt. So, discouraged, I wrapped it up in plastic and stuck it in the freezer.


Fast forward a few hours. Now I'm hungry. I want something sweet, but homemade. No options. I go to the freezer. I crack the thick shell on top of the lassi with a spoon, digging into the liquid core. (Salivating yet?) It was delicious! I do a double take. Is this really the same drink I tasted earlier?


Yes. With adequate time for the flavors to meld and with the help of a colder temperature (which seems to mellow the tartness of yogurt), the lassi became delightful! As you probably should know, I am lazy. Also, the only ice cream maker I own is an extremely dinky, obnoxious contraption which must be placed in a closed garage so as to muffle the noise. From these two statements, I am sure you can understand when I say that I do not make ice creams or frozen yogurts. This drink is a lovely alternative. I don't really know anything about the necessary composition of a frozen yogurt, but I am assuming that you could make this into one(?). Oh, well. It tastes gooood.



Mango Pineapple Lassi
Adapted from this recipe


INGREDIENTS

  • 3/4 cup chopped mango
  • 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt (pref. organic)
  • 1/4 cup nonfat milk (I used lowfat organic)
  • 1/2 cup cold pineapple juice
  • 1 dash ground ginger (fresh ginger = yum, but I didn't have any)


DIRECTIONS

  1. Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
  2. Drink immediately or cover with plastic wrap and store in the freezer for a few hours before serving.

0 comments: